drwex (drwex) wrote,

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Help me, Literate LJ

I'm trying to think of a language- or conversation-related category term and failing to come up with it.

There's a category of speech that I think is best characterized by the slang use of "Bite me!" It's said in an emphatic but not angry way, usually in response to a verbal touche' by another person in the conversation.

What is the term for this kind of speech type/category? Mizarchivist called it "flippant" and that's sort of in the right direction. It's not "sarcasm" nor really "snarking" - in fact it's something that may be a response to someone else snarking at us.

It's a retort, of sorts, but not really. "STFU" is sometimes used these days in online discourse in the same place, I think.

Anyone have any idea what this sort of thing is called?

EDIT: I think 'rejoinder' is probably the closest to the sense of what I was thinking.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.